PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Court records show the mother of a 7-year-old girl found dead in an apparent murder-suicide in Philadelphia said the girl told family members she “didn’t feel safe with her dad.”
Kayden Mancuso’s stepfather discovered her body Monday in a home in the city’s Manayunk section with a bag over her head.
Family members tell The Philadelphia Inquirer that a medical examiner said Kayden died after being hit in the head with a weight.
The girl’s 45-year-old father, Jeffrey Mancuso, was found dead in an upstairs bedroom. His cause of death has not been released.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- The little-noticed surge across the U.S.-Mexico border: Americans heading south VIEW
- Judge sides with Congress over Trump in demands for records
- Jamie Oliver's UK restaurant chain collapses into insolvency
- Should Donald Trump be impeached? Americans organize to read Mueller report, reach their own conclusions
- How the rural-urban divide became America’s political fault line
Jeffrey Mancuso and the girl’s mother were involved in a years-long custody battle.
Heather Giglio, the girl’s aunt, says Jeffrey Mancuso left a note on Kayden’s body saying the family “got what we deserved.”