SAN DIEGO (AP) — Officials say a California couple has been arrested after they attempted to enter Mexico with a duffle bag containing the body of a 2-year-old girl.
San Diego Police Lt. Ray Valentin said Wednesday that 39-year-old Johnny Lewis Hartley and 43-year-old Mercy Mary Becerra were booked in San Diego on one count of murder each, after Mexican officials turned them over to U.S. authorities.
Valentin says it’s believed that the child was killed in Whittier, a Los Angeles suburb where the couple lives. He says the couple knew the child but neither was related to her.
Police say the couple attempted to enter Mexico at the San Ysidro crossing Tuesday but were denied entry.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- An old medicine grows new hair for pennies a day, doctors say
- Part of a foot, in a shoe, spotted in Yellowstone hot spring
- Officials warn of misleading COVID rapid test results: Sick but 'negative'
- Colorado homeowner emptied pistol to kill bear that broke in
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
Officials say Hartley was detained after Mexican officials examined the duffle bag by X-ray. Becerra attempted to flee but was stopped.