ABBEVILLE, Ga. (AP) — Corrections officials are investigating what they say is an apparent suicide at a Georgia prison.
The Georgia Department of Corrections said in a news release Monday that inmate James Wheeler was found unresponsive in his cell at Wilcox State Prison at 5:25 a.m. Sunday. The department says medical staff tried unsuccessfully to revive him.
The Wilcox County coroner pronounced Wheeler dead at 7:50 a.m.
Following standard procedure, corrections officials are investigating the death.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- New research hints at 4 factors that may increase chances of long COVID
- Omicron loosens its hold, but 'this is a choose-your-own-adventure story'
- University mistakenly told 58 students they’d won full rides; it’ll pay their tuition anyway
- Justice Breyer to retire, giving Biden first court pick
- CDC travel warning flags 5 Caribbean destinations as 'very high' risk for COVID-19
Wheeler was sentenced to prison in 2001 for armed robbery and theft by receiving stolen property in Hall County.