GREENVILLE, S.C. (AP) — Authorities say South Carolina police officers have killed a man who confronted them after shooting a woman to death.
Greenville County Coroner Parks Evans says a man shot a woman as she ran across a busy intersection on Friday afternoon. The coroner says the man shot at deputies, who returned fire, killing him.
The names and relationship of the two people killed were not released. Evans told media outlets autopsies that autopsies had been scheduled for Saturday.
Sheriff Will Lewis said Friday that no officers were injured.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Texas thrusts itself into the center of battles over personal freedom, starting with abortion and sodomy
- After a Black man is killed by police, a city cancels its July 4 celebration
- One woman dominated a local fair's food contest. The internet went looking for her
- Jan. 6 witness Anthony Ornato is at the center of a battle over credibility
- University defends Justice Thomas' teaching position amid calls for removal
The shooting shut down the intersection, on U.S. Highway 25 about 2 miles (3 kilometers) west of downtown Greenville.
The State Law Enforcement Division is investigating.