EAST HAMPTON, Conn. (AP) — A 24-year-old Connecticut woman has been arrested after police say she seriously hurt her 5-year-old daughter and tried to cover it up by staging videos of the girl appearing to hurt herself.
Felicia O’Brien, of East Hampton, was charged Wednesday with intentional cruelty to persons and risk of injury to a minor. Her bail was set at $250,000 Thursday.
O’Brien’s stepdaughter was hospitalized with injuries in August. Records show O’Brien said the girl heard voices telling her to hurt herself by hitting her head on a bunk bed ladder.
The girl was hospitalized again in September with injuries to her face and eyes.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Wild horses adopted under a federal program are going to slaughter
- Beneath Biden’s folksy demeanor, a short fuse and an obsession with details
- The Gateses’ public split spotlights a secretive fortune, with a hush-hush Kirkland entity at the center
- Why is COVID-19 killing so many young children in Brazil? Doctors are baffled
- Some aren't ready to give up masks despite new CDC guidance
Police analyzed the mother’s cellphone and found apparent outtakes, including one with O’Brien cueing the girl to begin.
Her public defender could not be reached for comment.