PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Philadelphia police say they have arrested a homeless prostitute in the strangulation of a 75-year-old psychiatrist in a city hotel room.
Police said Wednesday that 27-year-old Manuel Baez was being charged with murder in the death of Dr. Howard Baker at the Rodeway Inn.
Police say Baker was found naked on the floor of his motel room Monday with a belt around his neck.
He checked in Sunday, and surveillance footage showed him leaving twice and returning each time with a different man.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Here's what we know about the 'delta-plus' variant, already detected in U.S. and elsewhere
- Scientists expected thawing wetlands in Siberia's permafrost. What they found is 'much more dangerous.'
- Passenger arrives taped to his seat after assault of 3 flight attendants
- Mass. COVID-19 outbreak mostly infected the vaccinated, CDC finds; few needed hospitalization
- Officer dead, suspect killed in violence outside Pentagon
One man was later spotted leaving with Baker’s backpack and wallet.
Baker had an office nearby as well as in the suburbs. He listed “relationship problems” as one of his areas of specialty.
Late Wednesday, neither police nor the prosecutor’s office had indication Baez had a lawyer.