WICKLIFFE, Ohio (AP) — Investigators say a woman who accidentally shot and killed her 2-year-old daughter at an Ohio hotel was trying to turn on the gun’s safety when it fired.
Wickliffe police told Cleveland.com on Monday that the shooting is still under investigation, but it appears the mother was putting the gun away Friday night when it fired.
The bullet went through a mattress and struck 2-year-old Laila Johnson in the chest. Three other children were in the room at the hotel outside Cleveland but were not injured.
Police say the mother had a valid concealed carry permit. They say there was no evidence of alcohol or drug use in the room, and there have never been any complaints of neglect against the mother.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- New research hints at 4 factors that may increase chances of long COVID
- They had COVID-19 once. Then, they got it again.
- Rare eagle seen in Maine, wowing birders, might stay a bit
- Justice Breyer to retire, giving Biden first court pick
- CDC travel warning flags 5 Caribbean destinations as 'very high' risk for COVID-19
Prosecutors will decide if any charges will be filed.