NEW YORK (AP) — Police say a man has stabbed his roommate to death at a New York City homeless shelter.
They say 62-year-old Deven Black was found stabbed in the neck Wednesday night in East Harlem.
They say the killer fled when a security guard opened the door to the room and found Black bleeding on the floor.
Police have identified their suspect as 21-year-old Anthony White, and they are searching for him. Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce says White has had psychiatric issues since at least 2013.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Deadly fungus spread rapidly during the pandemic, CDC says
- It’s massive. It’s Trumpian. And now it’s mysteriously missing
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Tourism agency apologizes after sexualizing Canadian city's name WATCH
- Are allergies making you tired, or is it COVID … or something else?
Residents at the Boulevard Homeless Shelter say White had threatened to kill someone for at least a week leading up to the attack. The shelter houses men with mental health issues.
Black was a former city public school teacher and librarian.