SENECA, S.C. (AP) — The son of a 92-year-old South Carolina woman has been charged with neglect causing her death after authorities say he left her on the floor without medical care, food or water for three days after she fell.
Investigators say 57-year-old Mack Gaines knew Alma Gaines had fallen in a Seneca home on Dec. 15. An arrest warrant says Alma Gaines was unconscious, naked from the waist down and covered in human waste when her son called paramedics three days later.
The coroner’s office says Alma Gaines died Jan. 17 after a month in hospice.
Mack Gaines is charged with neglect of a vulnerable adult resulting in death and faces up to 30 years in prison if convicted.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Flamingo freezes on flight south, crashes onto Siberian road
- 'I believed we were going to die': An elevator in a Chicago skyscraper fell 84 floors, requiring a dramatic rescue of six people
- Anti-vaccination stronghold in North Carolina hit with state's worst chickenpox outbreak in 2 decades
- Homeless Samaritan tale raised $400K. Police say it's a lie
- Couple killed in crash driving to their wedding
His lawyer, Fletcher Smith Jr. says he is still investigating and couldn’t comment.