ROCHESTER, N.Y. (AP) — Authorities say a Rochester lawyer has been banned from local jails after he was caught trying to smuggle drugs to an inmate.
The Monroe County Sheriff’s Office says 32-year-old Michael Witmer was charged last Friday after he tried to drop off a towel at the county jail for a former client.
Deputies say marijuana wrapped in cellophane was found hidden inside the towel. Authorities say he intended the pot for a 31-year-old inmate he used to represent.
Witmer was charged with attempted promoting prison contraband. He has been banned from the county’s jail facilities.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Iraq broils in dangerous 120-degree heat as power grid shuts down
- Trump says FBI searched estate in major escalation of probe
- Forest Service ‘legend’ among the four killed in McKinney fire
- How the Inflation Reduction Act might impact you — and change the U.S.
- Trump did flush ripped-up papers down toilets, photos in upcoming book reveal
Witmer has declined to comment on the charges.