MEDFORD, Mass. (AP) — A Massachusetts police officer has been placed on administrative leave for posting an image of a mushroom cloud with a reference to Islam.
Medford Officer Jason Montalbano apologized Wednesday, saying said he thought the image was meant to support action against the Islamic State group. He says he didn’t intend to demean Muslims.
He had shared an image on his Facebook page of a mushroom cloud with a caption referencing the atomic bomb dropped on Japan during World War II and saying, “It’s time we made peace with Islam.”
Lt. Paul Covino says the department takes the situation seriously and will take whatever action is necessary to correct it.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump Promotes Posts From Racist Twitter Feed
- With restaurants closed, CDC warns of increasingly aggressive rodents looking for new food sources
- Wealthiest hospitals — including Providence Health System — got billions in bailout for struggling health providers
- Study estimates 24 states still have uncontrolled coronavirus spread
- CDC warns of ‘aggressive’ rats searching for food during shutdowns
Mayor Stephanie Burke says police officers should be held to a higher standard when using social media.