FAIRBORN, Ohio (AP) — Officials say an Ohio police officer is being put on paid leave over a Facebook comment about a Black Lives Matter activist who killed himself on the Statehouse steps.
The comment posted under Fairborn officer Lee Cyr’s account reads “Love a happy ending.” It was posted on the Ohio Politics Facebook page Wednesday, two days after MarShawn McCarrel II killed himself.
Police say Cyr was off duty when the comment was posted.
City Police Chief Terry Barlow says internal affairs investigators will try to determine if Cyr violated the department’s social media policy.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- After Roe, architect of Texas abortion law sets sights on gay marriage and more
- Kamala Harris could break a record. Democrats wish she didn't have to
- Parade shooting suspect bought 5 weapons despite threats
- Bezos lashes out at Biden over call for lowering of gas prices
- Once a crucial refuge, ‘gayborhoods’ lose LGBTQ appeal in major cities
Cyr didn’t return calls seeking comment.
McCarrel shot himself near the front door of the Statehouse on Monday. He had helped with protests after high-profile police shootings led to the Black Lives Matter movement.