CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) — Ground has been broken for a sports complex being built in West Virginia.
Kanawha (kun-NAW’) County Commissioner Ben Salango said in a news release that construction has begun and the Shawnee Park Multi-Sport Complex should be open in the summer. The commission recently awarded a $10.2 million construction contract.
The 127-acre (51-hectare) complex will be located at Shawnee Park in Institute, outside Charleston. Planned are six collegiate-size turf soccer and lacrosse fields, four collegiate-size turf baseball and softball fields and several grass practice fields. Also planned are updates to the basketball courts, renovations to the outdoor swimming pool and construction of a new community building with additional parking.
A Youth Development Center will provide local children with after-school access and other activities, such as crafts, visual arts, music and computer coding.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Texas thrusts itself into the center of battles over personal freedom, starting with abortion and sodomy
- After a Black man is killed by police, a city cancels its July 4 celebration
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- University defends Justice Thomas' teaching position amid calls for removal
- Jan. 6 witness Anthony Ornato is at the center of a battle over credibility