NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) — A Connecticut man has been sentenced to 18 months in jail for a fight with police that left one officer with a concussion and broken nose.
The New Haven Register reports that 32-year-old John Wesley Williams was sentenced Wednesday after pleading guilty to assaulting a police officer. In exchange, prosecutors dropped several other charges.
Prosecutors say Williams was pulled over in East Haven in August after leaving a motel known for drug activity.
Police say Williams was evasive, kept trying to get back inside his vehicle, and at one point sped off as officers attempted to pull him out of the car. During the scuffle, one officer was injured.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Federal judge in Texas rules Obama health-care law unconstitutional
- Interior Secretary Zinke resigns amid investigations
- The iconic U.S. company raising the stature of corrupt governments around the world
- Mounting legal threats surround Trump as nearly every organization he has led is under investigation
- George Conway calls Trump a liar after Kellyanne Conway defends president on TV
Williams fled in his car but was later tracked down through information from a rental car agency.
Information from: New Haven Register, http://www.nhregister.com