Other items: 2 Catholic parishioners arrested during vigil to keep parish open in Boston and weather cancels re-enactment of Washington's river crossing.

Share story

Comair canceled all its 1,100 flights yesterday because computer problems knocked out its system that manages flight assignments, an airline spokesman said.

Nick Miller, a spokesman for the Delta Airlines subsidiary, based at Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky Regional Airport, said the cancellations affected 30,000 travelers in 118 cities.

Miller said the company was trying to put travelers on Delta flights. Crews were working to determine how many flights Comair could handle today, but nothing was definite.

“It’s been a very busy holiday season, and we deeply regret this problem for our customers,” Miller said.

Most Read Stories

Unlimited Digital Access. $1 for 4 weeks

He said the problem was triggered in part by flights canceled Thursday and Friday because of bad weather.

Natick, Mass.

2 Catholic parishioners arrested during vigil to keep parish open

Police arrested two parishioners who attempted a vigil to keep the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston from closing their 114-year-old parish, one of 83 churches scheduled to be shut down or consolidated by year’s end.

Anne Green said she and Leo Ryan were handcuffed Christmas Eve at Sacred Heart Church, placed in the back of a cruiser and driven to police headquarters, where they were booked on trespassing charges and jailed briefly.

They were released early Christmas morning with orders not to venture within 100 yards of the church, keeping them away from Christmas Mass yesterday, a day before Sacred Heart is scheduled to shut down.

Parishioners at eight other churches were continuing around-the-clock vigils to stave off closures, announced last spring in response to declining attendance, a shortage of priests and financial pressure caused in part by the Roman Catholic clergy sex-abuse crisis.

Washington Crossing, N.J.

Weather cancels re-enactment of Washington’s river crossing

Thousands of spectators along the Delaware River were disappointed yesterday when high, fast-flowing waters forced cancellation for the third consecutive year of the re-enactment of Gen. George Washington’s historic crossing.

The rush of water, caused by recent heavy rains, was too much for re-enactors to replicate the 1776 feat by Washington and his Continental troops that set the stage for key Revolutionary War victories.

Spectators lining the riverbanks in Pennsylvania and New Jersey still got a show as several dozen re-enactors, dressed in period uniforms and clothing, marched with weapons and drums.

Bad weather also forced re-enactments to be postponed in 2002 and 2003, but river conditions in 1776 were even rougher.

Washington and his poorly equipped troops crossed the river in the dark, in driving sleet and with ice on the river. The army went on to key victories in Trenton and Princeton, reversing the declining fortunes of the Continental Army.