COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) — Police say a 67-year-old Colorado man attempting to shoot a raccoon on a utility pole shot himself in the lower leg instead.
The shooting was reported just after midnight Tuesday on the southeast side of Colorado Springs.
Colorado Springs police say the man was taken to a local hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
Police say the man told them he was using a handgun to shoot at the raccoon.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- California parents of 13 plead guilty to torture, abuse VIEW
- Boeing 787 flight reaches 801 mph as a furious jet stream packs record-breaking speeds
- India orders 'staggering' eviction of 1 million indigenous people
- Year in space put US astronaut's disease defenses on alert
- In war, as with California wildfires, heroism lives next to horror
Besides the leg wound, police say the man likely faced a citation for prohibited use of a weapon.