BOCA RATON, Fla. (AP) — Florida Atlantic University has taken steps to fire a professor who claimed the massacre of children in Newtown was staged.
The school said in a release on its website that School of Communication and Multimedia Studies professor James Tracy was served a notice of termination Wednesday. The university said Tracy has 10 days to respond.
Although the school gave no reason for the action, the parents of one student killed at Sandy Hook recently claimed in a Florida newspaper opinion piece that Tracy was taunting them.
Tracy was reprimanded in 2013 for writing in his blog that the Sandy Hook killing was staged, and he has questioned accounts of other mass slayings.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Forced to play in 'panties,' the Norwegian beach handball team decided they'd had enough
- Should vaccinated people start wearing masks again?
- A Grizzly Bear Terrorized a Man for Days in Alaska. The Coast Guard Saw His SOS.
- Trans model makes Sports Illustrated swimsuit cover history: 'If you don't like it, you can go somewhere else'
- Why so many people have the worst summer cold ever
Tracy declined comment in an email Thursday.