WATERVILLE, Maine (AP) — Colby College says an alumnus has given the school $2.5 million to help students needing financial aid to graduate from the college.
Steve Ford has now donated a total of $3.5 million to the Waterville college he graduated from in 1968, saying Colby helped him financially when he needed it so he wanted to give back. Ford tells the Bangor Daily News that the new money is earmarked toward the general financial aid pool at the college to help students from Maine.
Steve Ford had a lifelong career as a corporate attorney, including 20-plus years with Scott Paper and S.D. Warren, working with their Maine operations and timberlands.
Colby offers about $6 million per year in financial aid to students from Maine.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Where you're most likely to catch COVID: New study highlights high-risk locations
- Reporter is hit by car on air, striking a nerve with TV journalists
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- You had breakthrough COVID. Can you start living like it’s 2019?
- McConnell: Black people vote at similar rates to 'Americans'