TYBEE ISLAND, Ga. — The Coast Guard is searching for missing boaters off the coast of Georgia, where a capsized fishing boat was found after severe storms ripped through the area.
The Coast Guard said in a news release Wednesday that a rescue boat and helicopter were searching waters about 1 mile (1.6 kilometer) northeast of Tybee Island. An emergency beacon Tuesday evening alerted the Coast Guard, which found the 47-foot (14-meter) fishing boat Miss Debbie overturned in the water. No people were found with the vessel.
Petty Officer 3rd Class Ryan Dickinson, a Coast Guard spokesman, said search crews have not determined how many people were aboard. He said the boat is based in Swan Quarter, North Carolina.
Parts of coastal Georgia were under warnings for tornadoes and severe thunder storms Tuesday evening.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Air New Zealand announces plan to weigh passengers before boarding
- Tara Reade, who accused Biden of assault, says she has moved to Russia
- Family: Sisters among 4 missing boaters after vessel found partially submerged in Alaska
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Children die in hot cars in three states, including WA, prompting grief and warnings