COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — A clown is running for Congress. That’s not a joke.
Steve Lough is wearing his red nose with pride, appearing in clown makeup on his campaign website as he runs against four others in South Carolina’s Democratic primary for the seat held by GOP Rep. Ralph Norman.
Lough was a professional clown with Ringling Bros. Barnum & Bailey Circus. Now The State newspaper reports that he’s for reforming gun laws and providing universal access to health care.
Lough is a native of Camden, South Carolina, and a graduate of both Dartmouth and the Ringling Bros. Barnum & Bailey Clown College. He also volunteered for the presidential campaigns of Barack Obama and Bernie Sanders.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump’s shifting explanations follow a familiar playbook
- In America's fastest-growing metro, a rising fear water will run out
- The coming California megastorm
- The fabulously wealthy are fueling a booming luxury ranch market out West
- Anne Heche, TV, film and stage actor, dies at 53 from injuries sustained in L.A. car crash
His website is ClownForCongress.com , and his campaign slogan is “Aim high! Vote Lough!”
Information from: The State, http://www.thestate.com