PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — Police say shots were fired near a Providence nightclub overnight, and the club has been ordered closed.
The Providence Journal reports police say officers had been assisting with an unruly crowd leaving the Penthouse club early Saturday when the shots were fired. Five shell casings were found at the scene. No injuries have been reported.
Sgt. David Tejada says no suspects have been taken into custody as of Saturday night. Police were trying to obtain surveillance video from the club’s owner.
The city’s Board of Licenses ordered the club closed for 72 hours at an emergency meeting following the incident. The board will hold a hearing on the club on Tuesday. A lawyer for the board says the club’s owners or a lawyer must be present.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- New research hints at 4 factors that may increase chances of long COVID
- Omicron loosens its hold, but 'this is a choose-your-own-adventure story'
- University mistakenly told 58 students they’d won full rides; it’ll pay their tuition anyway
- Justice Breyer to retire, giving Biden first court pick
- CDC travel warning flags 5 Caribbean destinations as 'very high' risk for COVID-19
Information from: The Providence Journal, http://www.providencejournal.com