CHICAGO (AP) — The city of Chicago is increasing security at the lakefront Millennium Park this summer.
City officials say starting May 19 there will be a security perimeter and bag check for all concerts and events at the downtown park’s Pritzker Pavilion. Firearms, knives and other weapons will be prohibited. The park along Lake Michigan is host to 80 free summer cultural programs.
The city also will prohibit alcohol at seven Pritzker Pavilion events that have the highest attendance. Those include the Chicago House Music Festival, Chicago Blues Festival, Chicago Mariachi Festival and Chicago Jazz Festival, among others. Outside alcohol will be allowed at other events.
Officials with the city’s Office of Emergency Management and Communications say they’re making the changes after terror attacks in major cities and at entertainment venues worldwide.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Did you see that painting hanging behind Trump during ‘60 Minutes’ interview? Here's what we know about it
- Mueller said ready to deliver key findings in his Trump probe
- America's most famous pimp, poised for elected office, dies
- Audio offers gruesome details of Khashoggi killing, Turkish official says
- Collins' husband: Ricin threat mentioned Kavanaugh vote