CHICAGO (AP) — The city of Chicago is increasing security at the lakefront Millennium Park this summer.
City officials say starting May 19 there will be a security perimeter and bag check for all concerts and events at the downtown park’s Pritzker Pavilion. Firearms, knives and other weapons will be prohibited. The park along Lake Michigan is host to 80 free summer cultural programs.
The city also will prohibit alcohol at seven Pritzker Pavilion events that have the highest attendance. Those include the Chicago House Music Festival, Chicago Blues Festival, Chicago Mariachi Festival and Chicago Jazz Festival, among others. Outside alcohol will be allowed at other events.
Officials with the city’s Office of Emergency Management and Communications say they’re making the changes after terror attacks in major cities and at entertainment venues worldwide.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Dog that waited weeks in ruins of California wildfire is reunited with owner WATCH
- Yukon trapper shoots attacking grizzly — then finds his family already mauled to death
- Justices won't hear states' appeal over Planned Parenthood
- Need a transplant? You’ll need to prove you can pay costs
- Drug firm can’t keep up with demand for shingles vaccine