MIAMI (AP) — A popular Florida city commissioner has resigned and pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor campaign finance charge.
The Miami Herald reports that Michael Grieco emailed his resignation to the Miami Beach city clerk Tuesday morning. He later appeared in Miami-Dade County criminal court to plead no contest to accepting a campaign donation made in the name of another.
The judge withheld adjudication as part of a deal, meaning Grieco will not be convicted of a crime. He will serve a year of probation where he won’t be able to run for public office. Grieco had been a competitive candidate in the city’s upcoming mayoral race.
Grieco’s attorney said Grieco never intended to have unauthorized contributions made to a political committee. The attorney blamed two of Grieco’s friends, saying Grieco tried to correct the problem when he found out.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump did flush ripped-up papers down toilets, photos in upcoming book reveal
- 'I didn't really learn anything': COVID grads face college
- If Trump illegally removed official records, would he be barred from office?
- Simmering threat of violence comes to fore with search of Trump property
- Large explosions rock Russian military air base in Crimea
Information from: The Miami Herald, http://www.herald.com