NEW YORK (AP) — The New York Mets home field caught fire this week — literally — as a display case at Citi Field erupted in flames.
The Mets said in a statement the fire broke out in the Jackie Robinson Rotunda Wednesday and was extinguished before the New York Fire Department arrived. The baseball team was in Atlanta, Georgia to play against the Atlanta Braves Wednesday night, and will return home Thursday.
Some 60 firefighters rushed to Citi Field Wednesday, but officials say the flames were extinguished by the automatic sprinkler system.
It’s not clear what caused the fire. Officials say no one was hurt and fire officials are investigating.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- What a 'super' El Niño could mean for winter weather in the U.S.
- Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California, trailblazer and champion of liberal priorities, dies at age 90
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Plane that crashed, killing Rep. Peltola's husband, had over 500 pounds of meat and antlers on board
- Troops stormed a prison. They found inmates had built a luxury resort.