HATTIESBURG, Miss. (AP) — A third-grade class in Mississippi has chosen a name for a local fire engine.
WJTV reports that the truck in Hattiesburg will be called “Big Red” in honor of Derek “Red” Jarvis. He coached football for Hattiesburg High School before his death in early May.
A contest was held to name the truck, and it was won by a class at Grace Christian Elementary School.
Teacher Cathy Clark says she’s proud and a little emotional that her students picked a meaningful name.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- New research hints at 4 factors that may increase chances of long COVID
- Justice Breyer to retire, giving Biden first court pick
- CDC travel warning flags 5 Caribbean destinations as 'very high' risk for COVID-19
- People are having COVID parties to spread the virus. That's 'Russian roulette,' doctors warn
- Justice Department is reviewing role of fake Trump electors, top official says
The students got to tour the fire engine and shoot water from the hose.
Information from: WJTV-TV, http://www.wjtv.com