MONROE, La. (AP) — Authorities in Louisiana are crediting a 3-year-old girl with trying to save her mother from being choked by her boyfriend, who happens to be a police officer for the city of Monroe.
An arrest report says the child threw tennis shoes at 25-year-old Jonathan McMillon as he tried to strangle her mother on March 18.
The News-Star reports that McMillon blamed the woman when responding law enforcement saw her bruises, but changed his story slightly when presented with the child’s testimony; he said he and the girl were playing “catch” with the shoes as he straddled her mother.
The woman has been given a protective order. McMillon is charged with domestic abuse battery with strangulation.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Do rapid COVID tests still work?
- When she named her breakfast cafe Woke, a conservative backlash followed
- A bear in Colorado took 400 selfies. Fashion pros say they're a star
- Priscilla Presley files petition questioning validity of Lisa Marie Presley’s will
- George Santos scandal consumes Congress, chafes lawmakers on both sides of aisle
Police spokesman Reggie Brown says McMillon is on paid administrative leave pending an internal investigation.
Information from: The News-Star, http://www.thenewsstar.com