SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Police say a 2-year-old Utah boy who shot himself with his father’s gun over the weekend has died.
West Valley City police said on Twitter Tuesday that the young boy passed away in the early hours of the morning.
The boy’s name has not been released. He shot himself late on Saturday evening and had been in a hospital in extremely critical condition.
His 27-year-old father Tasman Maile was arrested and booked on a manslaughter charge for leaving the firearm accessible to a child. Police say he was also booked on possession of a weapon by a restricted person, drug possession and obstruction of justice.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Behind Jimmy Carter’s defeat, a clandestine trip and a four-decade secret
- Her mother disappeared. Then her babysitter. A lawman fears she might be next VIEW
- This dress survived for more than 3 centuries at the bottom of the sea
- Meet the raccoon dog, creature that could be behind COVID outbreak
It was not clear if Maile was being represented by an attorney.