SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Police say a 2-year-old Utah boy who shot himself with his father’s gun over the weekend has died.
West Valley City police said on Twitter Tuesday that the young boy passed away in the early hours of the morning.
The boy’s name has not been released. He shot himself late on Saturday evening and had been in a hospital in extremely critical condition.
His 27-year-old father Tasman Maile was arrested and booked on a manslaughter charge for leaving the firearm accessible to a child. Police say he was also booked on possession of a weapon by a restricted person, drug possession and obstruction of justice.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Battle for Warnock’s seat at center of US Senate power struggle once again
- Omicron loosens its hold, but 'this is a choose-your-own-adventure story'
- University mistakenly told 58 students they’d won full rides; it’ll pay their tuition anyway
- Hiker plunges 700 feet in the latest of many selfie-related deaths
- Bridge collapses, drops city bus into Pittsburgh ravine
It was not clear if Maile was being represented by an attorney.