CHICAGO (AP) — Authorities say a plainclothes Chicago police officer was shot in the hand while chasing a person who fled from a stop by police.
Police say in a statement that officers were conducting a street stop when the person ran away about 11:30 p.m. Wednesday on the city’s Far South Side and fired at them.
The officer was taken to a hospital, where he was listed in stable condition. Chicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi (goo-lee-EHL’-mee) said in a tweet that the officer was expected to be OK. The person who fired at police was taken into custody.
Police say they recovered the person’s gun from the scene. The shooting is under investigation.
Most Read Stories
- ‘Suddenly there is a Confederate flag flying’ in Seattle’s Greenwood area – well, not quite
- Meteorologists expect up to an inch of snow Friday in Seattle as cold-weather records fall
- Enemy World War II fighter pilots told a tale of peril and reconciliation. Then there was the truth. | PNW Magazine VIEW
- Boomtown Seattle: Why we move here — and how we’re all in it together VIEW
- As debate heats up in Olympia over guns, a GOP state lawmaker invents a massacre