CHICAGO (AP) — A 60-year-old Chicago man has been charged with concealing a death after police found his wife’s badly decomposed body under a tarp and blankets in the couple’s apartment.
The Chicago Sun-Times reports Steven Seiler was detained Thursday after he returned to the apartment.
Police went to the home on Dec. 10 after receiving a request to check on Seiler’s wife, 58-year-old Tamara Wilson. They found her naked body in a locked bedroom and “bodily fluids” smeared around the apartment. The medical examiner’s office said Wilson had been dead at least four days.
Authorities say Seiler was carrying Wilson’s debit card, wedding ring and IDs.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Texas thrusts itself into the center of battles over personal freedom, starting with abortion and sodomy
- After a Black man is killed by police, a city cancels its July 4 celebration
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- University defends Justice Thomas' teaching position amid calls for removal
- Jan. 6 witness Anthony Ornato is at the center of a battle over credibility
A judge on Friday released him on electronic monitoring.
Authorities say Seiler told police he had noticed a bad smell coming from the bedroom but didn’t look inside.
Information from: Chicago Sun-Times, http://chicago.suntimes.com/