ROUND ROCK, Texas (AP) — A veteran Central Texas police officer who was hit by a vehicle while directing traffic at the scene of a fatality accident has died two months after being seriously injured.
A Round Rock police statement says Officer Charles Whites died Friday. Police spokesman Nick Olivier (oh-LIV’-ee-ay) says funeral services are pending for Whites, who was 63.
Authorities say Whites was struck Feb. 25 while at an accident scene along Interstate 35. The driver whose vehicle hit the officer was detained and later charged with intoxication assault.
Whites served as police officer in Round Rock for 19 years. He’s survived by his wife and a stepson.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Here's the difference between N95 and KN95 masks, and how to spot a fake
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- GOP Sen. Roger Marshall plans bill to publicize Fauci's salary
- Census memo cites ‘unprecedented’ meddling by Trump administration
- Hostages safe after Texas synagogue standoff; captor dead
Round Rock is 10 miles (16 kilometers) north of Austin.