BURLINGTON, Vt. — The Vermont Progressive Party in Burlington is endorsing the stepdaughter of Sen. Bernie Sanders in the race for mayor.
During a caucus Wednesday night, the independent Carina Driscoll defeated independent Infinite Culcleasure in balloting for the endorsement. Both have announced a run against incumbent Democratic Mayor Miro Weinberger.
So far, there are no Republican candidates running for mayor.
Driscoll on Monday made her candidacy official for an office famously held by her independent stepfather. Driscoll says she hopes to run a unifying campaign and will campaign as an independent despite receiving the Progressive endorsement.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Ex-policeman charged with decades-old serial killings VIEW
- 'Tase me, and you'll see what happens,' an American Airlines flier said. Police did — 10 times.
- He froze to death inside a multimillion-dollar town house — and now the state is investigating
- Recycling innovator Eric Lundgren loses appeal on computer restore discs, must serve 15-month prison term
- When Toronto suspect said ‘Kill me,’ an officer put away his gun
Culcleasure says he still plans to run.