BURLINGTON, Vt. — The Vermont Progressive Party in Burlington is endorsing the stepdaughter of Sen. Bernie Sanders in the race for mayor.
During a caucus Wednesday night, the independent Carina Driscoll defeated independent Infinite Culcleasure in balloting for the endorsement. Both have announced a run against incumbent Democratic Mayor Miro Weinberger.
So far, there are no Republican candidates running for mayor.
Driscoll on Monday made her candidacy official for an office famously held by her independent stepfather. Driscoll says she hopes to run a unifying campaign and will campaign as an independent despite receiving the Progressive endorsement.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump campaign selling email and phone lists for millions of supporters
- Kushner paid almost no taxes for years, documents show
- With genetic-identity registries, it’s the end of anonymity as we know it
- ‘No way to even ask for help’: Florida Panhandle residents desperate for food and shelter VIEW
- What’s at stake in a Harvard lawsuit: decades of debate over race
Culcleasure says he still plans to run.