BURLINGTON, Vt. — The Vermont Progressive Party in Burlington is endorsing the stepdaughter of Sen. Bernie Sanders in the race for mayor.
During a caucus Wednesday night, the independent Carina Driscoll defeated independent Infinite Culcleasure in balloting for the endorsement. Both have announced a run against incumbent Democratic Mayor Miro Weinberger.
So far, there are no Republican candidates running for mayor.
Driscoll on Monday made her candidacy official for an office famously held by her independent stepfather. Driscoll says she hopes to run a unifying campaign and will campaign as an independent despite receiving the Progressive endorsement.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- As Democrats vow to investigate Trump, Mueller's office issues rare statement rebuking Cohen report
- Democrats demand investigation after report that Trump ordered Michael Cohen to lie to Congress
- Former Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz is mulling an independent run for president in 2020
- Before Harts plunged off cliff, strain dogged Washington state family
- Commuter knits a ‘rail delay scarf.’ It fetches $8,650 on eBay.
Culcleasure says he still plans to run.