SPIRITWOOD, N.D. (AP) — Cargill says it will close its malt plant near Jamestown in October.
The closing will affect about 55 employees at Spiritwood Energy Park.
Cargill spokeswoman April Nelson says demand has dropped for the locally-produced type of malts being used in the production of beer. Nelson tells KQDJ -AM growers were notified that Cargill would not continue its contract growing program prior to the 2018 season so they could make alternate plans.
Cargill has more than 200 workers at its West Fargo and Wahpeton facilities, which are not affected.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- If you win tonight's huge Mega Millions jackpot, here's what to do next
- Saudi government acknowledges Khashoggi was killed while visiting Saudi consulate
- Did you see that painting hanging behind Trump during ‘60 Minutes’ interview? Here's what we know about it
- To defend Trump, conservatives smear journalist presumed dead
- Justice Department charges Russian woman with interference in midterm elections
Information from: KQDJ-AM, http://www.newsdakota.com/kqdj-1400am