SPIRITWOOD, N.D. (AP) — Cargill says it will close its malt plant near Jamestown in October.
The closing will affect about 55 employees at Spiritwood Energy Park.
Cargill spokeswoman April Nelson says demand has dropped for the locally-produced type of malts being used in the production of beer. Nelson tells KQDJ -AM growers were notified that Cargill would not continue its contract growing program prior to the 2018 season so they could make alternate plans.
Cargill has more than 200 workers at its West Fargo and Wahpeton facilities, which are not affected.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- A North Carolina teen didn't come home. An iPhone app led her mother to a ravine.
- Massive blackout hits tens of millions in South America VIEW
- Severed head of prehistoric wolf found in Siberia, perfectly preserved
- U.S. buries digital land mines to menace Russia’s power grid
- A Chicago man died after the family took him off life support. Then he walked through the door.
Information from: KQDJ-AM, http://www.newsdakota.com/kqdj-1400am