THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) — Police say a car carrying two gas canisters has crashed into the town hall of the small Dutch town of Bemmel and burst into flames. One person, believed to be the driver, was found dead at the scene.
Police have not released the identity of the driver but say in a tweet Wednesday that they have a “strong suspicion” about who it is.
Rene Bierman, a spokesman for firefighters, tells national broadcaster NOS that one of the gas bottles exploded in the crash, causing the fire.
Nobody else was hurt in the incident in the early hours of Wednesday morning in the town about 100 kilometers (62 miles) southeast of Amsterdam.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- In Baltimore and other cities, a stolen NSA tool wreaks havoc
- Harriet Tubman is already appearing on $20 bills whether Trump officials like it or not
- ‘It was like a zoo:’ Death on an unruly, overcrowded Everest
- A 102-year-old woman is being evicted so the landlords' daughter can move in
- Hawaii woman missing for 2 weeks rescued from Maui forest VIEW
Police say they are investigating the cause of the incident.