RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — The Virginia Division of Capitol Police wants you to meet Denis, a 3-year-old Belgian Malinois and the newest member of its K-9 Unit.
The public is invited to the Capitol Thursday, when Denis and his handler will be at the pedestrian plaza at 10th and Bank streets from 9 a.m. to noon. Atos, an 8-year-old brindle German shepherd retiring from the Capitol Police force, will also be there.
Denis was born in Brazil and most recently worked in Afghanistan with a private security contractor.
Atos has been used in counter-terrorism prevention, bomb-threat response, proactive security sweeps and evidence searches. Denis will have similar duties and will join two other K-9s in the unit.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Sherpa climbs Everest twice in a week, breaks his record with his 24th ascent
- 'American Taliban' fighter to be released after 17 years VIEW
- Mnuchin says Tubman $20 bill design delayed past 2020
- Ex-partner of deceased skater Coughlin says she was abused
- Trump stalks out on Democrats, demands end of investigations VIEW
Col. Anthony Pike, chief of the Capitol Police, said Denis “has some big paws to fill.”