PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — Rhode Island Republican gubernatorial candidate Allan Fung has dropped his Providence campaign chairman a day after announcing the position.
Fung’s campaign manager tells WPRI-TV they were unaware of Hamlet Lopez’ past arrest for domestic violence when they announced he would serve as the city’s campaign chairman Monday. Lopez had been working as a volunteer for the campaign before the appointment.
Lopez was arrested in 2015 and charged with simple assault after police say he attacked and threatened his wife. The charge was later dropped.
Lopez says he is grateful the charge was “rightfully dismissed.” The 31-year-old says he didn’t think he needed to disclose the charge with the campaign because it was dismissed.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- How to find a quality mask (and avoid counterfeits)
- Popular TV anchor catches COVID for a second time: 'This virus is scary'
- Tonga volcano's eruption was so forceful, it may have helped clear Seattle's fog
- Here's the difference between N95 and KN95 masks, and how to spot a fake
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
Fung has yet to announce a replacement.
Information from: WPRI-TV, http://www.wpri.com