MASSENA, N.Y. (AP) — Authorities say a Canadian man working on a freighter has died after he fell off a dock on the St. Lawrence Seaway in northern New York.
WWNY-TV in Watertown reports 57-year-old Alfred Eshun of Quebec lost his balance and slipped off a dock after being lowered onto it off the side of the bulk carrier Spruceglen around 12:30 a.m. Tuesday.
Police say the crew was tying off the vessel outside the Eisenhower Lock near Massena when the accident occurred. He was pulled from the water after a few minutes by two seaway employees who had to be treated for possible hypothermia at Massena Memorial Hospital.
Eshun was pronounced dead at the same hospital around 2 a.m.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Fake images of Trump arrest show 'giant step' for AI's disruptive power
- What to know about the eyedrops linked to deaths and vision loss
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- End of the rainbow? California bill would ban sales of Skittles, other 'toxic' snacks
- A tree fell, killing two children. Their parents are now warning others
State police and the U.S. Coast Guard are investigating.