PORTLAND, Maine (AP) — Democratic gubernatorial candidate Mark Eves has fired a campaign staffer over sexual harassment allegations.
A spokeswoman said Eves deemed the allegations to be credible and dismissed longtime Democratic operative Brandon Maheu on Thursday.
The allegations involved a period in which Maheu was working for the presidential campaign of Bernie Sanders. A spokeswoman for Eves said Maheu had been hired but had not started his job, so he won’t be paid for any work he did for the Eves campaign. He has not been charged with a crime.
Maheu apologized in a post on Facebook, saying he’s in therapy and hopes to make amends. He said, “I have failed myself, my colleagues, and my loved ones.”
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Serial killer who took 10 women's lives executed in Florida
- Officials fighting U.S. measles outbreaks threaten to use rare air-travel ban
- Parents forget newborn baby in Hamburg taxi
- Harriet Tubman is already appearing on $20 bills whether Trump officials like it or not
- 3 dead, state capital battered as storms rake Missouri VIEW