CLOVIS, Calif. (AP) — An 18-year-old Central Valley woman has been arrested after a dead newborn was found in the family’s trash.
The Clovis Police Department said Thursday that Angelena Hamilton gave birth at home without her family’s knowledge. Other members of her family didn’t know she was pregnant.
Police were called to Hamilton’s Clovis home on Wednesday morning after someone reported seeing blood in a trash container.
Officers found the newborn girl’s body and police said Hamilton told them she gave birth. She was taken to a nearby hospital for treatment and then booked on suspicion of involuntary manslaughter and child endangerment.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Homeless Samaritan tale raised $400K. Police say it's a lie
- California fire has claimed 63 as missing list grows to 631 WATCH
- Sheriff: California wildfire's death toll rises to 48 WATCH
- In Malibu, Woolsey Fire claims celebrities' homes
- Julian Assange has been charged, prosecutors reveal inadvertently in court filing
Fresno County Jail records don’t indicate if Hamilton is represented by an attorney.