SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — A 34-year-old California mother has been sentenced to life in prison in the microwave oven death of her 1-month-old daughter.
A Sacramento County Superior Court judge imposed the 26-years-to-life sentence Friday on Ka Yang.
She was convicted of first-degree murder and assault for putting Mirabelle Thao-Lo in the microwave for up to five minutes in 2011. Prosecutors say the child had fatal thermal injuries.
Investigators found the infant’s pacifier in the microwave at their Sacramento-area home.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Huge hack reveals embarrassing details of who's behind Proud Boys and other far-right websites
- Texas governor sends miles of cars along border to deter migrants
- Why the delta variant is giving more children COVID
- How the end of the international travel ban may affect your vacation — even for domestic trips
- Moderna vs. Pfizer: Both knockouts, but one seems to have the edge
Yang’s attorney says her client had an epileptic seizure and didn’t know what she was doing.
She has a history of seizures, but paramedics say she wasn’t disoriented when they arrived.
She told investigators she blacked out and awoke to find the baby injured next to a space heater.
Yang has three other children.