POMONA, Calif. (AP) — A Southern California man has been charged with murder after authorities say he set the mother of his children on fire on Christmas Day.
The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced Tuesday that 51-year-old Clarence Durrell Dear has been charged with dousing the 41-year-old woman with a flammable liquid and setting her ablaze.
The woman later died at a hospital.
Dear was ordered held without bail on Tuesday, and his arraignment was pushed back to Jan. 28.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- As thousands of athletes get coronavirus tests, nurses wonder: What about us?
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Trump may be coming to terms with loss he won't acknowledge
- Two-dose coronavirus vaccine regimens will make it harder to inoculate America
- An unusual snack for cows, a powerful fix for climate
In addition to being charged with one count of murder with the special circumstance of torture, prosecutors say Dear has also been charged with one count of cruelty to the couple’s 12-year-old son.
It was not immediately clear if Dear had an attorney.