POMONA, Calif. (AP) — A Southern California man has been charged with murder after authorities say he set the mother of his children on fire on Christmas Day.
The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced Tuesday that 51-year-old Clarence Durrell Dear has been charged with dousing the 41-year-old woman with a flammable liquid and setting her ablaze.
The woman later died at a hospital.
Dear was ordered held without bail on Tuesday, and his arraignment was pushed back to Jan. 28.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Forced to play in 'panties,' the Norwegian beach handball team decided they'd had enough
- Largest US quake in half-century causes Alaska little damage
- Another coronavirus variant has reached Florida. Here's what you need to know.
- 'The war has changed': Internal CDC document urges new messaging, warns delta infections likely more severe
- MacKenzie Scott, French Gates join to award $40M for gender equality efforts in U.S.
In addition to being charged with one count of murder with the special circumstance of torture, prosecutors say Dear has also been charged with one count of cruelty to the couple’s 12-year-old son.
It was not immediately clear if Dear had an attorney.