POMONA, Calif. (AP) — A Southern California man has been charged with murder after authorities say he set the mother of his children on fire on Christmas Day.
The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office announced Tuesday that 51-year-old Clarence Durrell Dear has been charged with dousing the 41-year-old woman with a flammable liquid and setting her ablaze.
The woman later died at a hospital.
Dear was ordered held without bail on Tuesday, and his arraignment was pushed back to Jan. 28.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- How could police have mistaken a gun for a Taser in Daunte Wright's death?
- Americans may be able to travel to Europe again this summer. Their hosts may not be vaccinated.
- Walgreens not following U.S. guidance on Pfizer vaccine spacing
- Essential, invisible: COVID has 200,000 merchant sailors stuck at sea
- Cop, police chief resign 2 days after Black motorist's death
In addition to being charged with one count of murder with the special circumstance of torture, prosecutors say Dear has also been charged with one count of cruelty to the couple’s 12-year-old son.
It was not immediately clear if Dear had an attorney.