WASHINGTON (AP) — Republican presidential candidate Jeb Bush says his first reaction was to laugh at rival Donald Trump’s criticism of him for speaking Spanish.
Bush told ABC’s “Good Morning America” Thursday, “I laughed. I mean this is a joke.”
Bush said he had been responding to a reporter’s question in Spanish this week when he replied in Spanish to criticize Trump. Trump told Breitbart News that Bush should “set the example” by speaking English while in the U.S.
Bush called Trump’s comments bizarre, adding that Trump is appealing to people’s angst and fears rather than their higher hopes.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- She was told surgery would cost about $1,300. Then the bill came: $229,000
- CDC urges adults 50 and older to get a 2nd booster
- The angry white populist who paved the way for Trump
- How the Supreme Court could soon drastically expand the right to carry guns
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
The former Florida governor said that Trump is trying to “insult his way to the presidency.”
He added that Trump doesn’t believe in the country’s set of shared values like diversity and tolerance.