COLLEGE PARK, Md. (AP) — Authorities say a brush fire is burning near the University of Maryland’s flagship campus.
Prince George’s County Fire spokesman Mark Brady tells news outlets that the Friday afternoon brush fire spanned several acres and was spreading in College Park. The department had units on scene to protect homes in the College Park Woods community and near Cherokee Lake Elementary school.
Brady said the fire was in the area of a PEPCO sub-station and power lines.
University of Maryland police tweeted that traffic was being diverted and the road between the university’s astronomical observatory and the National Archives at College Park was closed.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Trump said he thinks 'the people would revolt' if he were impeached
- What happens when 25,000 Amazon workers flush toilets?
- 'Dirty deeds': Ex-Trump lawyer Cohen gets 3 years in prison
- Trump threatens shutdown in wild encounter with Democrats WATCH
- Pelosi gives Trump an earful, questions 'manhood' in private WATCH