COLLEGE PARK, Md. (AP) — Authorities say a brush fire is burning near the University of Maryland’s flagship campus.
Prince George’s County Fire spokesman Mark Brady tells news outlets that the Friday afternoon brush fire spanned several acres and was spreading in College Park. The department had units on scene to protect homes in the College Park Woods community and near Cherokee Lake Elementary school.
Brady said the fire was in the area of a PEPCO sub-station and power lines.
University of Maryland police tweeted that traffic was being diverted and the road between the university’s astronomical observatory and the National Archives at College Park was closed.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Did you see that painting hanging behind Trump during ‘60 Minutes’ interview? Here's what we know about it
- Mueller said ready to deliver key findings in his Trump probe
- America's most famous pimp, poised for elected office, dies
- Audio offers gruesome details of Khashoggi killing, Turkish official says
- Collins' husband: Ricin threat mentioned Kavanaugh vote