COLLEGE PARK, Md. (AP) — Authorities say a brush fire is burning near the University of Maryland’s flagship campus.
Prince George’s County Fire spokesman Mark Brady tells news outlets that the Friday afternoon brush fire spanned several acres and was spreading in College Park. The department had units on scene to protect homes in the College Park Woods community and near Cherokee Lake Elementary school.
Brady said the fire was in the area of a PEPCO sub-station and power lines.
University of Maryland police tweeted that traffic was being diverted and the road between the university’s astronomical observatory and the National Archives at College Park was closed.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- The little-noticed surge across the U.S.-Mexico border: Americans heading south VIEW
- Judge sides with Congress over Trump in demands for records
- Who is Robert Smith, the man paying off Morehouse graduates’ loans?
- Jamie Oliver's UK restaurant chain collapses into insolvency
- What is 'milkshaking?' Ask the Brits hurling drinks at right-wing candidates