GOLDEN, Colo. (AP) — Authorities believe a malfunctioning generator at a supermarket was responsible for making sounds similar to gunshots in suburban Denver last month.
Multiple people reported hearing gun shots the morning of Feb. 23 near a shopping center, leading to warnings for people to stay inside and tightened school security. The Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office released a video with what sounded like over a dozen shots being fired and asked for help finding a possible witness seen in the distance.
But the sheriff’s office says a fresh round of gunshot reports there on Friday led investigators to determine that the source was the generator on the roof of a Safeway store.
Safeway apologized for the disruption and says it’s working to fix the generator as quickly as possible.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- If you win tonight's huge Mega Millions jackpot, here's what to do next
- Did you see that painting hanging behind Trump during ‘60 Minutes’ interview? Here's what we know about it
- Todd Bol, founder of Little Free Library book sharing, dies
- Saudi government acknowledges Khashoggi was killed while visiting Saudi consulate
- As NASA's prized telescopes falter, astronomers fear losing their eyes in space