PIERRE, S.D. (AP) — A Day County jury has convicted a Bristol man of scamming an 83-year-old man.
The attorney general’s office says 59-year-old Gary Podzimek did unauthorized and unnecessary mechanical work on the elderly man’s pickup truck, billing him $53,000 and receiving more than $39,000 before he was caught.
Authorities say Podzimek also filed false or fraudulent business tax returns.
He was convicted of grand theft by deception, failing to pay taxes and other charges. A sentencing date wasn’t immediately set.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Single word sparks crossfire between Supreme Court, NPR and its star reporter Nina Totenberg
- An old Virginia plantation, a new owner and a family legacy unveiled
- A grandma knew she was being scammed, so she decided to swindle the swindler
- A 12-year-old wrote his governor to oppose a gun law. A stray bullet killed him on Christmas
- Where you're most likely to catch COVID: New study highlights high-risk locations