JOPLIN, Mo. (AP) — Authorities say three young brothers were killed and their mother and five people in another vehicle were injured in a three-vehicle crash in southwest Missouri.
The Missouri State Highway Patrol says the mother was driving her boys over a narrow highway bridge southeast of Joplin Tuesday night when her SUV collided with a tractor-trailer driving toward them. The patrol says her SUV was then struck in the side by another SUV.
The patrol has identified the victims as 2-year-old Isaac Verde, 4-year-old Benjamin Verde and 7-year-old Eric Verde from Neosho.
The mother and four others injured were taken to a Joplin hospital in ambulances, while a sixth person was flown to the hospital. The tractor-trailer driver was not injured.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Jan. 6 witness Anthony Ornato is at the center of a battle over credibility
- After a Black man is killed by police, a city cancels its July 4 celebration
- Texas thrusts itself into the center of battles over personal freedom, starting with abortion and sodomy
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- The 20-somethings who help the 70-somethings run Washington
The patrol says weather was not a factor in the crash.