PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A 6-year-old boy has been found safe after the car he was sleeping in was stolen from a Philadelphia convenience store parking lot.
Police were called to the 7-Eleven in the city’s Northeast section after 2 a.m. Tuesday.
The sleeping boy’s stepfather left the car running with the heat on as he went into the store.
Police say that’s when someone took off with the car and the child in the back seat.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Key Largo is so flooded that crocodiles are swimming in the streets
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Ian lashes South Carolina as Florida's death toll climbs
- Trump records probe: Tensions flare over special master
- Marjorie Taylor Greene’s husband files for divorce after 27 years
Officials say the vehicle was found abandoned about a half hour later.
Chief Inspector Scott Small says the child remained asleep through the ordeal and wasn’t harmed. The boy has been reunited with his family.
Police are continuing to look for the suspect who fled from the stolen car.