AUGUSTA, Ga. (AP) — A boy has died after touching a fence that became electrified at a park in east Georgia.
News outlets report 12-year-old Melquan Robinson was at football practice Monday evening in an Augusta park when he grabbed the chain-link fence that had been electrified by a live wire.
Richmond County Coroner Mark Bowen says Melquan was electrocuted. A county sheriff’s office report says two boys and one adult were also injured.
Sheriff’s deputies say Melquan had climbed the fence to retrieve a football. They say the two other children were shocked when they tried to pull Melquan down.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- A grandma knew she was being scammed, so she decided to swindle the swindler
- Single word sparks crossfire between Supreme Court, NPR and its star reporter Nina Totenberg
- An old Virginia plantation, a new owner and a family legacy unveiled
- Where you're most likely to catch COVID: New study highlights high-risk locations
- A 12-year-old wrote his governor to oppose a gun law. A stray bullet killed him on Christmas
Bowen says authorities are investigating and the city will focus on how the wire energized the fence.
County schools Director of Communications Kaden Jacobs says Melquan was a seventh-grader.