MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — Police say a 14-year-old boy attacked three children, one of whom died, and has been charged with attempted murder and child abuse.
Memphis police spokeswoman Karen Rudolph said Wednesday that the teenager assaulted two girls, ages 6 and 9, and a 7-year-old boy in a home Dec. 23. Rudolph said the teenager had been caring for the children while their foster mother was working. It’s not clear why he attacked them.
The children were taken to a hospital. Police said the 6-year-old girl died Sunday, and the other two were released to the care of the Department of Children’s Services. Police said the girl who died had a swollen and bruised face, but the cause of death has not been determined.
The teenager is being charged as a juvenile.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Forced to play in 'panties,' the Norwegian beach handball team decided they'd had enough
- Largest US quake in half-century causes Alaska little damage
- Another coronavirus variant has reached Florida. Here's what you need to know.
- 'The war has changed': Internal CDC document urges new messaging, warns delta infections likely more severe
- MacKenzie Scott, French Gates join to award $40M for gender equality efforts in U.S.