SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Authorities say a 10-year-old boy was accidentally shot and killed during a hunting trip in northern Utah.
The Cache County Sheriff’s Office says the boy was sitting on the floor of a four-wheeler to stay warm when a hunting companion pulled alongside the vehicle. Deputies say the man got off his four-wheeler and was removing his rifle when it went off, hitting the boy around 7:30 p.m. Saturday.
Authorities say the boy died the scene, in the far southeast corner of a Forest Service area in Cache County. The sheriff’s office says his body was transported back to Cache Valley.
Chief Deputy Matt Bilodeau says there are no charges pending.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Motorcycle stunt rider Alex Harvill dies while trying to break world record in Moses Lake
- In the Wake of India’s COVID Crisis, a ‘Black Fungus’ Epidemic Follows
- Severe heat and drought are the hallmarks of a changing West
- Summer solstice arrives Sunday night, marking year's longest day
He says the boy’s name is being withheld until family and friends can be notified.