SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Authorities say a 10-year-old boy was accidentally shot and killed during a hunting trip in northern Utah.
The Cache County Sheriff’s Office says the boy was sitting on the floor of a four-wheeler to stay warm when a hunting companion pulled alongside the vehicle. Deputies say the man got off his four-wheeler and was removing his rifle when it went off, hitting the boy around 7:30 p.m. Saturday.
Authorities say the boy died the scene, in the far southeast corner of a Forest Service area in Cache County. The sheriff’s office says his body was transported back to Cache Valley.
Chief Deputy Matt Bilodeau says there are no charges pending.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Why nonalcoholic beer beats regular beer after exercise
- 75-year-old hiker found on mountain as search continues for missing actor
- Earth’s inner core paused, then reversed its spin. This is fine
- Want to break up with your gas fireplace? Here's how to convert it
- How do you live to be 100? Good genes, getting outside and friends
He says the boy’s name is being withheld until family and friends can be notified.