SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — Authorities say a 10-year-old boy was accidentally shot and killed during a hunting trip in northern Utah.
The Cache County Sheriff’s Office says the boy was sitting on the floor of a four-wheeler to stay warm when a hunting companion pulled alongside the vehicle. Deputies say the man got off his four-wheeler and was removing his rifle when it went off, hitting the boy around 7:30 p.m. Saturday.
Authorities say the boy died the scene, in the far southeast corner of a Forest Service area in Cache County. The sheriff’s office says his body was transported back to Cache Valley.
Chief Deputy Matt Bilodeau says there are no charges pending.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- A cure for Type 1 diabetes? For one man, it seems to have worked
- The best time to get a COVID booster shot: What the science tells us
- Firefighters launch tense rescue after pet tortoise traps pet dog in underground burrow
- Celebrated snowboarder Marko Grilc, 38, dies in accident at resort
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
He says the boy’s name is being withheld until family and friends can be notified.