Spanish police discover boy, 8, being smuggled cross border inside suitcase.
MADRID — A Spanish court has ordered the detention of a man from the Ivory Coast who allegedly attempted to smuggle his 8-year-old son into Europe in a suitcase.
A police statement said guards stopped a 19-year-old Moroccan woman who looked nervous as she waited in line Thursday at the land border crossing in Ceuta, a Spanish city enclave in North Africa.
When the guards put her suitcase through a scanner, they detected the boy curled up inside.
Border officers detained the woman and, later, the child’s father at the same border crossing. The woman is married to the father, and both had residence rights in Spain. The court said the boy did not.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- CDC reverses itself, says new guidelines on coronavirus transmission were posted in error
- Trump Supporters Disrupt Early Voting in Virginia
- ‘We May Be Surprised Again’: An Unpredictable Pandemic Takes a Terrible Toll
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
- Sen. Lisa Murkowski says she doesn't support filling Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg's seat before the election
A Ceuta magistrate on Friday ordered the father held on charges of human rights abuse.