Spanish police discover boy, 8, being smuggled cross border inside suitcase.
MADRID — A Spanish court has ordered the detention of a man from the Ivory Coast who allegedly attempted to smuggle his 8-year-old son into Europe in a suitcase.
A police statement said guards stopped a 19-year-old Moroccan woman who looked nervous as she waited in line Thursday at the land border crossing in Ceuta, a Spanish city enclave in North Africa.
When the guards put her suitcase through a scanner, they detected the boy curled up inside.
Border officers detained the woman and, later, the child’s father at the same border crossing. The woman is married to the father, and both had residence rights in Spain. The court said the boy did not.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Vaccine reserve was already exhausted when Trump administration vowed to release it, dashing hopes of expanded access
- 'QAnon Shaman's' note to Pence cited as evidence of 'assassination' plot before prosecutors walk back claim
- The $3,000-a-month toilet for the Ivanka Trump/Jared Kushner Secret Service detail
- Trump to leave Washington on morning of Biden's inauguration
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
A Ceuta magistrate on Friday ordered the father held on charges of human rights abuse.