Spanish police discover boy, 8, being smuggled cross border inside suitcase.
MADRID — A Spanish court has ordered the detention of a man from the Ivory Coast who allegedly attempted to smuggle his 8-year-old son into Europe in a suitcase.
A police statement said guards stopped a 19-year-old Moroccan woman who looked nervous as she waited in line Thursday at the land border crossing in Ceuta, a Spanish city enclave in North Africa.
When the guards put her suitcase through a scanner, they detected the boy curled up inside.
Border officers detained the woman and, later, the child’s father at the same border crossing. The woman is married to the father, and both had residence rights in Spain. The court said the boy did not.
Most Read Nation & World Stories
- Vatican warns US bishops over get-tough Communion proposals
- New drugs could help treat obesity. Could they end the stigma, too?
- Judge dismisses NRA bankruptcy case in blow to gun group
- New U.S. quarters feature women; see the first ones
- Sports on TV & radio: Local listings for Seattle games and events
A Ceuta magistrate on Friday ordered the father held on charges of human rights abuse.